Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lemon Mint Granita

I've got a pot of mint growing in my garden and oddly, I've always loved the scent but never really did like mint in my food.

That's it sitting there with my rosemary :)

But then again it was such a waste having it there and not using it... so I thought "Let's make some zesty granita!!!"

I went online and this recipe by smitten kitchen really caught my eye. It looked SO adorable... those little lemon cups. I had to give it a try!

The original recipe called for 4 lemons, 4 cups water, 3 tbsps sugar and a handful of fresh mint leaves.

I gave it a bit of a twist.

These are the ingredients - lemons, mint leaves, sugar and water. How much of each bit you use really depends on how much granita you're making. I decided to go with the recipe and use four lemons.


First I zested two lemons. I just thought this would give it an extra kick!

Then I cubed four lemons up. I removed the skin as much as possible and also roughly deseeded them.


Then I chucked in what seemed to be a handful of mint leaves. I cut seven sprigs of mint from my pot - so you can roughly do a bit of estimation.


Pulse it up into a puree in a blender or a food processor and then let it sit for a bit. This will allow the mint to fully infuse its flavors into the lemon.


This is the fun part. Sieving the pureed lemon & mint. I actually did two rounds of this - first with the sieve, then I scooped it all into a cup and used my hands to squeeze some more out.


Add in the water. I measured three cups here in the bowl but only used about two cups. Then I added sugar bit by bit until I got the taste that I wanted. It still has the nice zesty lemon-mint tang and the sugar just helped to keep it from going overboard.

I love these little mint specks :)

Pour it into a shallow pan


And chuck it into the freezer. You'll need to remember to scrape it a bit after an hour or so. This really depends on your freezer too... some people set theirs on high so it will freeze faster. Mine is set on medium and I checked it after half an hour, it was still very watery.

I'll post an update when it's ready :)

No comments:

Post a Comment