Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Easy dishes: Indian-style cabbage

Since the pup's part Indian, we decided to start cooking more Indian dishes at home. So for the first try, we're doing a popular Indian-style stir fry cabbage. You can get this from most Indian food stores - they serve it as a side dish with rice and curries.

I never realized how easy this dish was until I started cooking it.

Ingredients
  • 1 tsp ghee
  • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp chilli flakes/cayenne
  • half a head of cabbage, sliced thinly
  • salt, to taste

Heat up the frying pan (or wok) on medium low and add the ghee to it. I don't actually use a full teaspoon of ghee but just scrape off more or less.

Tip!
You don't HAVE to use ghee - I mean, it's not the healthiest of fats cook with. But the occasional ghee dish is alright I guess. You can of course use your regular cooking oil for this but I can tell you one thing - ghee gives it that distinct flavor :)


Once it's fully melted, add in the mustard seeds and mix well.


You need to be very alert and quick with this dish. Make sure you keep stirring the mustard seeds around to make sure that they're well coated with the ghee. You'll know it's ready when you see mustard seeds popping up and down. That's when you need to add in the other spices.


If you leave it on for too long, the seeds will start to burn, so I usually measure everything out in a little plate so that I can quickly pour it in!


Mix everything and keep stirring. You want to get the spices infused and if you just leave them there, they'll burn. So keep stirring and you'll get a nice paste.


Add in the cabbage and stir well.

p/s: This is me being a tad ignorant :P I obviously have too much cabbage for my little pan but sometimes I just can't be that all bothered. Please do not do what I do! I ended up with a lot of runaway cabbage pieces and bits of spices splashed on the stove.


Once the cabbage is well coated with the spices and cooked, do a quick taste test. Most times it'll need a bit of salt for flavor. You can turn the heat to low and adjust the flavor.

Plate up and you're done! The great thing about this dish is that it is rather messy so there's really nothing much you can do to pretty it up. Another great thing about it is that, you don't necessarily have to serve it piping hot. It works well cooled down too.

Tip!
If you'd like, you can add some carrot slices, some ginger, curry leaves, or chillies to this dish.

Happy cooking!

xxx
Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment