Friday, June 10, 2011

Healthy breakfast

I was at a photoshoot the other day and learnt this from the owner and chef Debbra Lee of Fit For 2 and Bisou. And I've gotta tell you, I have NEVER eaten healthy food that's so bloody delicious!

Anyways, one of them was a Bircher Muesli - which is pretty much soaked oats with some fruits and or nuts.

Bircher Muesli was created by Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Benner who needed a diet that was rich in fresh fruit and veggies as part of theraphy.

Anyways, Deb's recipe is super easy and most of the stuff are already in your kitchen. Prepare it the night before, scoop it out in the morning and you're good to go! Plus it's a great snack because it's healthy and not so fattening!

This is my version of her recipe.

Ingredients

  • 2 apples. She actually grates them but my grater is a bit too fine so I chop them up in teeny pieces
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • Cinnamon powder
  • 1 cup or a 135g tub of natural yoghurt
  • 1 cup or one tetra pack of apple juice

I usually fill half the container with oats. You can use as much as you can but for starters I'd say about 1 cup would be great. It's always a great idea to start small just to get the feel of how it's done.

Then I add in about 3 shakes of cinnamon powder. I don't put in too much because I don't want it to over power the mix. But if you love the taste of cinnamon, by all means, put in more :)



Then add in the grated/diced apple.


Pour in the yoghurt.


Then pour in the apple juice. I usually use one small tetra pack instead of measuring from the big pack. We don't drink that much apple juice at home so using a big pack means I have to make this quite often and my usual batch lasts me three days....

Mix it well and you're done! Just put it in the fridge over night and you'll find a nice gooey and healthy breakfast ready to go.

Tip!
The measurements for yoghurt and juice really does depend on how much oats you use. When mixing it, if you feel that it's a tad dry, add a little more yoghurt or juice (up to you). It's supposed to be nice and moist but not runny.

When you scoop it out in the morning (or as a snack) and find that it's a little dry... fret not, just add a little yoghurt or fresh milk to loosen it up!

You can even top it up with some fresh berries or a sprinkling of nuts for that crunch.

This is a great basic recipe that you can modify any way you like. Experiment with different types of juices or fruits. Mangos and berries go really well with this. You could also try dried fruit. I usually use apples because they keep really well.

Let me know if you've tried this or made your own variation. I'd love to hear from you!

Happy cooking (or mixing)!

xxx
Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment